Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northeast "Camp Shopbot" II

djhazeleger@mindspring.com Guest

Bill,
    I agree with your points on the software issue, and I think your pamphlet idea is a good one. As far as the accesories, I was thinking on the lines of Shopbot getting involved to promote there products, lots of potential sales and a very captive audience. How bout it shopbot?

Northeast Camp update…....

I've heard from a few people who have a schedule conflict with the originally proposed Camp date of Oct.6,7 (8).. Family obligations, school holiday, etc. SO I will push the date(s) back one week to Oct.13/14.. This is still within the weather window, and might be an easier time for more people..
    I've heard from owners, in Texas, Fl., Oklahoma, the mid-west, etc. Many will try to get here and see what a bunch of Botter's looks like..I'm still looking for a few "volunteers" to demo stuff they think we'd like to see..Should hear back on a possible "rate"at the local Motel 8 ( ½ mile away..) for those of you travelling.
    I hope with two months warning this will be workable for those of you planning to attend. By the way, now might be a good time to get a preliminary head count. If you think you might make it, please drop me an e-mail..Thanks Bill P.

waynesutter Guest

Something I would like to see is a West coast Southern California Shopbot forum. To make this a reality I am willing to do the following. I run a technology traing center at a Community College in Hemet CA which is east of LA about an hour. I personally own the late model PRT 96 shopbot which is at the training center and we also have a perfect training classroom with 24 computers and an overhead projector as well as lots of software for CNC and CAD. We could sponsor a camp at any time that did not conflict with classes and we would also supply lots of material to cut. Early January would be great since the weather in southern CA is allways great and the college does not hold regular classes until late January

I am currently working on a clock project making a grandfather cock and movement (see the projects forum) and we may even want to include this in the camp.

imserv@imsrv.com Guest

Wayne, maybe we could take the Shopbot-Vector training class on the road at that time. We could possibly donate a Vector educational lab license to the school in exchange for providing the facility, then if you wanted to host a Camp Shopbot at any time, all the computers could have a VectorCam license available. If there was enough interest maybe we could have a Camp Shopbot and a Vector Training session back to back.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
    IMService

Cool, guys. Go, go, go! Going to Anaheim tomorrow and will talk with Shopbot guys. Wayne, you gonna be there?

k_music@borg.com Guest

I would be very interested in attending the 2nd annual Northeast Camp Shopbot. I am new to this and currently do not own a machine, however, I plan on making a purchase in the near future. In the meantime, can anyone out there steer me in the direction of a current Shopbot owner that might be willing to give me a demonstration on the PRT96 or a comparable unit near my area? I am located in Utica, NY. Thanks.

superior@compworldnet.com Guest

Bill: I'll use this forum to contact you this time. I am very interested in the camp idea, as I mentioned in an earlier note. I have at least two, perhaps four, others interested also. One of the others has a shopbot, as do I. I have found some good ticket buys on AA, $192.00 ea. round trip to Philly, from DFW. What I need is the exact date of the camp, so I/we can make ticket purchases, the sooner, the cheaper! Give me some advise as you have it, and we will proceed.
    Sounds like a real blast!
    Waiting to hear.....
    Doug Strickland
    superior@compworldnet.com

Doug, It's now defineately the 13/14 of October. I am listing two days because a few people last year still had things they wanted to cover/speak about after day #1, so this time I'll try to do the bulk of the demo/teaching stuff on Saturday, and then we get into anything "else"on Sat. night/Sunday..
    I am about 55 miles from The Philadelphia airport so it's just as easy to fly into there as Newark, or Atlantic City..Exact directions will be showing up on the forum soon, and I'll post the tentative sessions we have planned soon as well. Thanks for letting me know about your interest, I'm hoping others will start to do the same so I know roughly how many people to expect ( gotta get better at my Camper/donut ratio projections...)..

danlisa@erols.com Guest

Bill (Billp)
    I am interested in attending the Northeast Camp ShopBot. Please provide information regarding the location, fees, and nearby accommodations.
    thanks.........dan

Northeast Camp directions
    I will be leaving for vacation on Mon.27th., and gone until the 7th of September. During much of that time I will be out of reach with computers, phones, etc. so I thought I'd get this stuff posted before I took off to help some people get their plans finalized.
    The first 3 major 'sessions' scheduled will be- "Hold downs/vacuum setups", "Software"(with Profilelab and Vector being featured), and "Boatbuilding/weird shapes..". There have been a few suggestions for other sessions, but I'm still fielding ideas. I am just as willing to throw the shop open to whatever those in attendance want to cover at the time. You can reach me between now and Sunday evening at the phone # listed below, or via e-mail. We'll get the rest of this finalized when I get back so if you have any ideas, or want to run a session, please contact me.
    Northeast Camp Shopbot directions…
    It looks as though people are driving/flying in from all directions for this Camp, so I'll try to be as mercifully brief as possible as I can with these directions. If anyone needs more specific routing I will work with you via e-mail/phone, etc. I've also contacted the two closest hotels/motels for rates. The closest facility is the Super 8 motel ( 732-657-7100), about ½ mile from the shop. Their Shopbot 'rate' ( ask for Leigha when you make reservations..) depends on how many rooms are eventually booked-Base rate is $65, then 4 rooms = 10% discount for all, 8 rooms = 20 % discount, etc. The second option is the Quality Inn (732-341-2400), about 3 miles from the shop. Their standard room rate is $85 per night. Both of these places are fine, and I'd suspect anyone wanting to run over to the beach/boardwalk ( 8-9 miles..), could do so from either location.
    From the South;
    If you are taking the ferry over from Lewes, De. To Cape May, N.J. just get on the Garden State Parkway, and head North to exit 82A. . This will put you on Route # 37 West. Follow that for about 4 miles until you come to "Northampton Blvd.". Do NOT turn here, instead go past Northampton, and as you do you will see a Getty gas station on your left hand side, and just past that a small industrial park. I am IN that park, but you can't get there ( divided highway), unless you go to the next intersection which is 'Commonwealth Blvd." , and make a U-turn..Do so, then as you now head back east on route # 37 you'll see the entrance to the park ½ mile down the road. In the park is a building with a large sign saying 'Carpet' on the front. I am in the rear of the building, at Bay Craft Designs..
    If you are coming North on Interstate # 95 ; take I-295 into New Jersey . Take it North until you reach route # 70 ( approx. 35 miles..).Go east on route # 70 until you reach the outskirts of Lakehurst, and connect with route # 37. Follow the signs eastbound toward Seaside Heights. I am about 4 miles East on route # 37. You will pass the Super 8 motel at "Commonwealth Blvd.", and go ½ mile until you reach a small industrial park. The Getty gas station you will see is PAST the park, turn in before you reach it. Then when in the park follow the instructions above..
    From the North;
    Connect with the Garden State Parkway and go South to exit 82A, then follow instructions from the above paragraphs..
    From the West;
    Cross into N.J., and if coming through Philadelphia connect with route # 70. Then follow instructions from the above paragraphs.
    If coming from the Northwest you can take I-78,I-80, or I-195 across the state to the Parkway, then follow instructions from the North.
    From the East;
    Please dry your feet…

Actual street address is; 1745 Route # 37 West
    Shop phone # is 732-286-2700